Using WinSCP, Kount customers can transfer a large file or data set to Kount through the secure file transfer protocol (SFTP).
Download and Install WinSCP
- Navigate to winscp.net.
- Download the latest version of the WinSCP software to a directory on your computer’s hard drive.
- Navigate to the directory where the WinSCP installer is located, and double-click it to launch.
- If prompted, click Run.
- Accept the license agreement.
- On the Setup type dialog, accept Typical Installation, and then click Next.
- On the Initial User Settings dialog, accept the default selection, and then click Next.
- On the Ready to Install dialog, click Install.
- On the Completing the WinSCP Setup Wizard dialog, clear the Launch WinSCP check box, and then click Finish.
Create a New Private/Public Key Pair
Perform the following to create a new private/public key pair.
- Launch WinSCP.
- On the login window, click the Tools drop-down menu, and then select Run PuTTYgen.
- On the PuTTY Key Generator dialog in the Parameters section, select RSA.
- In the Number of bits in a generated key field, enter 4096.
- Click Generate. Move your cursor around inside the dialogue box to generate randomness.
- In the Key passphrase field, type a strong passphrase and type the same passphrase in the Confirm passphrase field.
NOTE: A lost passphrase cannot be recovered.
- Save public and private keys:
- Click Save public key, name the file something distinctive, such as "yourcompany_public.ppk," and then save the file.
- Upon being returned to the PuTTY Key Generator, click Save private key, name the file something distinctive, such as "yourcompany_private.ppk," and then save the file.
- Email the public key to your Kount Client Success Manager.
NOTE: Do not email the private key. The private key must be kept private to ensure the security of the connection.
Kount will use the public key to create a unique login on Kount's secure server. After receiving the public key through email, your Client Success Manager will provide you with a username on Kount's secure file server.
Connect to the Secure Server and Upload Your Document
On the same Windows computer used to generate the public/private key pair, perform the following to connect to the server and upload your document.
- Launch WinSCP.
- On the login dialog, enter "sftp.kount.net" in the Host name field.
- Enter the username received from Kount in the User name field.
- Click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Site Settings dialog that displays, select Authentication from the SSH submenu.
- Click the ellipses (...) in the Private key file field to open the file selector dialog.
- From the file selector dialog, select the private key file and open it.
- Click Ok, and then click Login.
NOTE: Leave the Password field blank.
- If this is the first time logging into the secure server, click Yes in the Authentication Warning dialog.
- When the Authentication Banner dialog displays, click Continue.
- In the Server Prompt dialog, enter the passphrase previously created in the Password field, and then click OK.
The SFTP transfer screen displays in WinSCP allowing you to navigate to the location on the computer where the file intended for transfer to Kount is stored. Using this screen, upload the desired document or data set to Kount.