Chargebacks by nature are costly and time consuming. Use them to your advantage, by providing Kount with chargeback data/history. The respective transactions are flagged as a chargeback and the information can be utilized for analysis of your transactions.
Rules can flag current orders if their data relates to a previous chargeback, and historical data analysis can be used to determine if there is a pattern to the chargebacks.
Entering Chargeback Data
Chargeback data is typically entered via our Data Analytics Team. Chargeback data is submitted to Kount in an Excel or CSV format from a merchant. The only required data is the Transaction ID. It is helpful to have the chargeback code, (from the bank), but it is not required. Please submit the chargeback data to firstname.lastname@example.org, or "Submit a Request" in the upper right hand corner of the help center.
Another method of entering chargeback data is via the RESTful API. The Refund Chargeback (RFCB) Endpoint is https://api.kount.net/rpc/v1/orders/rfcb.html. When a URL is submitted, this endpoint returns documentation for the endpoint. When a POST is submitted, with the status code of C, the chargeback code is updated. For more in depth information regarding the RESTful API please reference the API Specification Guide.
Merchant's Chargeback Information
Chargeback information for a merchant account displays in the AWC on the Transaction Details page in the Payment gadget. If a chargeback has been entered against a particular transaction, the yellow band displays along with the words Alert: Payment Chargeback.
You can also manually mark a payment as a chargeback.
- Click the Add refund or chargeback link at the bottom of the gadget.
- In the Edit box, select Chargeback and then click Save Status.
- Once you have marked a payment as a chargeback, you can edit your selections by clicking the Update Chargeback link.
Adding Chargebacks to the VIP Review or Decline Lists
- To add the entered chargebacks to the VIP List automatically, click the Fraud Control tab, click VIP Lists, and then click Cards.
- Select the Add Chargebacks to VIP List checkbox.
- Select the appropriate radio button for the VIP List to which the chargeback will be added.
Rule Conditions: Creating Chargeback Rules
There are several rule conditions that can be used to create a Negative History rule. There are three types of rule data, Merchant (the specific merchant’s data), Network (Kount network of merchants), and Universal (Bank supplied information).
There is also a difference between Order negative history and Persona negative history. Order negative history, provides two years of historical data, whereas the Persona negative history only provides the current 14-day Persona entity.
When creating rules using Negative History conditions add Code 0. Some chargebacks that are provided by merchants are entered with a zero value because either the Chargeback code is unknown or not provided
Chargeback Column Headings
The RFCB field stands for Refund/Chargeback. The RFCB field can be added to many of the order listings, Suspect Orders, Specials Alerts, Order Search and Persona Order listings.
Order Search for Chargebacks
An Order Search can be performed to search for Chargebacks.
- In the AWC on the main menu, click Reports and then click Order Search.
- On the Order Search page, open the Rfnd/Chgbck drop-down menu and select C-Chargeback.
Ad-hoc Reporting Options for Chargebacks
To create an Ad-hoc Report:
- In the AWC menu, click Reports, select Ad-hoc Reports, and then click New Report.
- On the New Report page, select the desired options and the C-Chargeback option in the Refund/Chargeback drop-down menu.
- Click Run Report.
This type of report is created as a downloadable file. The Status says Submitted. To see the file that was generated, select the Reload this Page button on the browser toolbar. Notice that after the webpage reloads, the Status will reflect Ready and the download link will be highlighted. Download the report file. The file is created in a CSV format and can be viewed/edited by most spreadsheet programs. The data output is based upon the field selections above.