When IP Addresses are assigned by the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN), they associate the IP Address with a network type based upon the organization usage and profile. The basic network types include:
- N = Normal. This is perceived as the least risky and most common network type.
- O = Open Proxy (free Wifi). This is the second least risky network type and often associated with coffee shops and other public spaces.
- A* = Anonymous. This network type is the third least risky. Some good customers will use this type, as well as some ISP providers. Use caution.
- S* = Satellite. Associated with higher risk, but may be used from rural areas.
- P* = Prison. Associated with high risk orders; is the least common.
- H = High School. Associated with higher risk; use caution.
- L = Library. Associated with higher risk; use caution.
* These network types are considered to be the riskiest.
Kount uses these definitions when evaluating the IP Addresses seen on your orders, and then associates the network type that has the most e-commerce risk to the Persona connected to the order.